[SI-LIST] Re: SI-List Graphics or pics

  • From: "Ray Anderson" <ray.anderson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Leonard Dieguez" <ldieguez@xxxxxxxxxx>, "steve weir" <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>, <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Larry Smith" <LSMITH@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Chris Cheng" <Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Istvan Novak - Board Design Technology" <Istvan.Novak@xxxxxxx>, <istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Lee Ritchey" <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Scott McMorrow" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 11:41:23 -0700

Leonard-

Originally we had the list 'open' with respect to posting binary
attachments to list messages. At some point in time (probably about 8
years ago) someone posted a 8 MByte  document to the list. At that time
we had something approaching 2K users (today it is closer to 4K). The
bandwidth consumed by the sending of the 8M attachment to over 2K users
just about brought the little Linux server to it's knees creating mass
discontent from the sysops who maintain the server. About the same time
the e-mail virus issue was warming up. A decision was made to
re-configure the system s/w to not allow attachments on si-list
messages. While I  agree it can be a bit inconvenient at times we really
haven't had any issues related to virus spreading or the use of
mega-quantities of bandwidth either intentionally or unintentionally.

I suppose by limiting the size of attachments the effect of broadcasting
still be there. There currently isn't an automatic way for users to
upload files to the si-list web site, however upon request I can place
them there to support specific conversation topics.

The bottom line is that unless there really is a compelling reason to
change the list configuration with regards to attachments I'd really
prefer not to. I'm willing to listen to arguments to the contrary
though.

Regards,

-Ray

Raymond Anderson