[SI-LIST] SDRAM PCB Layout

  • From: Gene Glick <gglick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 15:59:15 -0400

Hi,

I am working on an Atmel AT91SAM9260 processor with SDRAM running at
around 100MHz (or maybe it's 133, off the top of my head).  My board is
4 layers, 2 routing, 1 power, 1 ground.  I have a couple of questions,
sort of general principals . . .

1.  Atmel offered up an app note that shows *all* of the SDRAM signals
series terminated, with 27 ohms.  I don't believe it is  that way on
their eval board, but I didn't double check.  Question is, are they all
really necessary?  Yes, I realize much more to this question, how long
the traces for example.  My plan is to terminate the clock line only.
Bad idea?

2.  I see from their app note that they traverse layers all over the
place.  In fact, the SDRAM and uP are not on the same side of the board.
  Although I hadn't considered doing it this way, it appears to make a
tighter layout.  In any case, every signal changes sides at least once.
  On general principles, I think this is less optimal - but ok?  My
current layout, has uP and SDRAM on same side.  Footprint is slightly
larger than Atmel app note shows, but fewer layer transitions, many
signals reside on top-side only.

3.  Atmel won't comment on routing strategies, but I was wondering if
the it is ok to have the clock do something like this (hopefully ascii
drawing works out):

Layer 1: SDCLK_OUT -|        SDRAM1-|         SDRAM2-|
Layer 2:            |               |                |
Layer 3:            |               |                |

thanks

gene

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net