[SI-LIST] Re: SDRAM PCB Layout

  • From: "Nick Luther" <Nick.Luther@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Gene Glick" <gglick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 09:46:32 -0500

Hi Gene,

I completed a successful design with an AT91SAM9261 where every DQ was
series-terminated at the SDRAM and SDCK was terminated at the MCU.  I
don't believe we terminated our address lines--our simulation must have
shown the MCU drive strength to be acceptable.  Our design was atypical
and had some other timing challenges to overcome because we needed to
use Mobile SDRAM, but we were able to find a solution in simulation and
when we powered it up it worked.  Also, we only had one SDRAM IC, so
that's a pretty significant difference.  I don't remember all of the
stackup details, but it was about eight layers, standard technology,
with memory routing on L2-L3 referenced to L1 or L4.  The routes were
short.

I wasn't able to do any serious correlation on that project, so I can't
vouch for the IBIS files.  I can state that they are available from
Atmel, and I'm sure they're also available from your memory vendor.

I've also seen another design in the family where the series terms were
not included initially and the engineers decided to put them back in
after making some measurements.  I wasn't involved in that project so I
don't have much more insight besides that high-level observation.

Have you completed a pre-route simulation?  It served us well on this
project.

I have some other technical comments on the part related to SDRAM
timing.  Feel free to call.

Take care,

Nick

--