[SI-LIST] Re: Rx Eye Mask width, BER, and Jitter

  • From: "Murphy, Martin" <Martin.Murphy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Conrad Herse" <herse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 14:15:28 -0700

Conrad,

The Rx minimum eye width spec is a number that would usually be tied to
a particular BER target spec; eg 0.2UI at 10e-12 BER. As you pointed out
in your example, the resultant maximum allowable TJ of 0.8UI will be
composed of a DJ number and 14*RJ for the Dual Dirac model at the 10e-12
BER level.

For that combination of DJ and RJ, your eye margin at 10e-15 BER will
obviously be smaller, and you can work out the margin using the 1UI -(DJ
+ 15.883*RJ) calculation. Note: this does not imply that jitter
tolerance is increased. The tolerance to jitter hasn't changed at all,
just your reference point for an eye margin measurement.

If you really want 0.2UI of receiver eye margin at 10e-15 BER, then
start with those numbers and you'll obviously calculate backwards to a
wider eye margin at 10e-12.

Martin Murphy
Anritsu