[SI-LIST] Re: Rx Eye Mask width, BER, and Jitter

  • From: Vinu Arumugham <vinu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Conrad Herse <herse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 15:45:39 -0700

Conrad,
Here's another way of performing the calculation:

For simplicity assume entire RX jitter contribution is RJ.
LinkRJ12 =  1 - DJ = 0.7UI
That's the total RJ contribution from the TX and RX at BER of 1e-12.

TXRJ12 = 0.5UI at BER of 1e-12.
RXRJ12 = sqrt (LinkRJ12^2 - TXRJ12^2) = 0.49UI at BER of 1e-12.

TXRJrms = 0.5/14=0.036 UI
RXRJrms = 0.49/14=0.035 UI

TXRJ15 = 0.036*15.883=0.57UI at BER 1e-15.
RXRJ15 = 0.035*15.883=0.56UI at BER 1e-15.
LinkRJ15 = sqrt(0.57^2+0.56^2)=0.8UI at BER of 1e-15

To operate these TX and RX on a link at a BER of 1e-15, you would have
to reduce the LinkDJ to 1 - LinkRJ15= 1 - 0.8UI = 0.2UI.

RX Jitter tolerance can then be specified as:
RJ = 0.57UI
DJ = 0.2UI
TJ = 0.77UI
BER = 1e-15.