[SI-LIST] Re: Routing of 12 GHz diff pairs

  • From: "e.sweetman" <e.sweetman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jonpowell@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <phillip.r.wellington@xxxxxxxxxx>,<emj14@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Giovanni.Guasti@xxxxxxxxxx>,<hannappe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <buck@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 10:39:09 -0800

Broadside coupling sounds attractive for a number of reasons but offers lots
of challenges.  (read this as problems)  You can get reasonable registration
for pairs printed on opposite sides of a core but, if you alternate signal
layers and grounds, you end up with some diff pairs with prepreq between.

--------  GND
   prepreg
  ---- Sig+
  core
  ---- Sig-
   prepreg
-------- GND
  core
  ---- Sig+
   prepreg
  ---- Sig-
  core
-------- GND

It is, in fact, not pratical to have strong diff pair coupling with
broadside coupled lines unless you want VERY low Zo.  To maintain 100 Ohm
differential impedance, one needs either very narrow lines (high loss) or
thick dielectric layers (thick backplanes).  The latter leads to problems
with connector transitions (via coupling and resonant stubs) and large pitch
between diff pairs to reduce crosstalk.  In practice, broad-coupled lines
are more often more closely coupled to ground than each other but maintain
identical routing geometry (except, of course, at the connector pin fields).
This does reduce the effect of misregistration but you still have the issue
of thick boards.

In short, I feel the same way about broad-coupled lines as I do about
extraterestrial beings.  I'm a skeptic but would welcome strong arguments in
favor of either.

Eric Sweetman