[SI-LIST] Re: Reset problem with power supply

  • From: Ron Lewerenz <Ronald.Lewerenz@xxxxxxx>
  • To: V S <for_si2003@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 12:59:39 -0800

Hi V S,

I've seen this a few times. The root cause can lie in a few different
areas, but in general check these areas first:

- Power supply ramp rate between the bench supply and the real system
supply (there is probably a difference)

- If there is a difference, it may not be the real system supply, but
you may need to *tune* the main ECB (Electronic
  Circuit Breaker) (also called a Hotswap Controller) circuit RC values
based on your power supply ramp conditions
  and the loads that this power supply will see. make sure you vary the
load over the complete range to make sure
  everything works over that load range (as you make changes).

Good luck!
Ron

V S wrote:
> When I power my board using a bench power supply it boots. When I try to
> plug in the cable, with the one end of the cable hooked to the same power
> supply in power on position it does not. My question is what difference cable
> inductance makes ? The failure looks like between processor and Flash core,
> as, the processor is always alive.
>
> The processor is freescale MX27. I am using national Semi LM2717-ADJ IC to
> generate 1.8V for memory IO, 1.5V for core and PLL, 2.775V for processor IO
> and 3.15 for other IO. A POR is generated using Schimtt Trigger. The HRESET
> is generated using the same schmitt Trigger 74LCX07MX.
>
> Any one faced similar situation ?

> List technical documents are available at:
>                 http://www.si-list.net
>
> List archives are viewable at: