[SI-LIST] Re: Question about VGA termination

  • From: "Loyer, Jeff" <jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <olaney@xxxxxxxx>, <joel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 14:09:54 -0700

I think we should also give the original designers some credit.  I
thought the typical topology was a pretty clever means of maintaining
the proper impedance for a uni-directional bus, while remaining
"friendly" to practical PCB design constraints.  Here are 3 topologies
(pardon the crude ascii-art attempt, "+" being an intersection):

1) 37.5_ohm_driver/pkg -> 37.5_ohm_t-line -> + filter ->
75_ohm_vga_cable -> 75_ohm_pulldown

                                        75_ohm_pulldown

The 37.5_ohm_driver first sees the 37.5_ohm_t-line, and then the
75_ohm_pulldown in parallel with a 75_ohm_vga_cable (for a 37.5 ohm net
impedance, the filter impedance being left out of consideration), and
then the final 75_ohm_pulldown at the receiver.  No impedance
discontinuities from driver to receiver.  Unfortunately, this requires
37.5 ohm routing on the motherboard: not practical.

2) 37.5_ohm_driver/pkg -> + 75_ohm_t-line -> filter -> 75_ohm_vga_cable
-> 75_ohm_pulldown

                     75_ohm_pulldown

The 37.5_ohm_driver now sees the 75_ohm_t-line in parallel with the
75_ohm_pulldown (for a 37.5 ohm net impedance), followed by the the
filter and 75 ohm vga cable, and then the final 75 ohm pulldown at the
receiver.  Unfortunately, this requires 75 ohm routing on the
motherboard: not practical.

3) 37.5_ohm_driver/pkg -> + 50_ohm_t-line -> + filter ->
75_ohm_vga_cable -> 75_ohm_pulldown
                          |                  |
                    150_ohm_pulldown   150_ohm_pulldown

The 37.5_ohm_driver now sees the 50_ohm_t-line in parallel with the
150_ohm_pulldown for a net impedance of 37.5 ohms.  The 50_ohm_t-line
then sees a 75_ohm_vga_cable in parallel with a 150_ohm_pulldown for a
net impedance of 50 ohms (again, the filter impedance being left out of
consideration).  Then, the final 75_ohm_pulldown at the receiver.  No
discontinuities from driver to receiver, and allows routing at 50 ohms,
a common impedance.  This last topology is typically what's called for.

When I came across this and reverse-engineered the reasoning behind it,
I was impressed at its elegance.  True, it doesn't deal with reflections
from an imperfect receiver termination well, but it does a nice job with
what it has available.

I would agree that, as video resolutions go up to incredible values (and
pixel times drop), it may not be adequate.  But, for the timeframe in
which it was conceived, it's worthy of respect.  And certainly is worthy
of study by folks in this field.

This represents a best-guess about the original engineering involved
(since I wasn't there); I'd love to hear from anyone with more insight
if this was indeed the thinking behind it.

P.S.
If you're an SI-geek and want to have a GREAT time, start looking at the
RGB (aka VGA analog) signals in-depth (with an O'scope, with different
patterns on the screen).  My dealings with them have been about the
funnest thing I've come across.  They're also the most confounding, as
different video patterns can perfectly mimick overshoot, slow risetime,
ringback, etc.

Cheers,
Jeff Loyer