[SI-LIST] Re: [Q] IR Drop - try this free demo software

  • From: Cosmin Iorga <ci249534@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Benjamin Kim <kdkim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 16:59:38 -0700 (PDT)

Benjamin,
Besides the same distance the direction matters too.  DC electric current lines
distribute within the plane following two rules:
    1. They try to flow through the lowest resistive path, and
    2. Parallel current lines repel each other.
The result is a current distribution within the plane similar to the magnetic
filed lines distribution of a magnet.  If your current lines from VRM to
Sink(1A) overlap with the current lines to Sink(2A) on a given region of the
power plane then you need to add the overlapped current lines when applying
Ohm's law.

For multiple Sink/Source points this analysis becomes more complicated since
now
same direction current lines repel each other and opposite direction current
lines attract each other.  The result is a 2-D distributed voltage drop across
the plane.  If you are interested you can download the free demo of ChipQuake
Power Integrity Explorer software and play with the location of power/ground
(VDA/VSA) pins as sink/source points on the chip and see how the supply voltage
distribution changes across the chip (2-D map).  This is for chip not PCB, but
the mechanisms of current flow are the same.

You can download thefree demo version of ChipQuake Power Integrity Explorer
from
NoiseCoupling.com ; http://www.noisecoupling.com (look for link on mid left
side
of home page).  This is a limited functionality demo but it covers what I
suggested you to try.

Cosmin Iorga, Ph.D.
founder NoiseCoupling.com
http://www.noisecoupling.com