[SI-LIST] Re: Prepreg dielectric constant and thickness: what actual values to use?

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: colin_warwick@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 14:42:01 -0400

Guys

This is 200 MHz SSTL.  Correct or incorrect frequency dependent
dielectric and/or copper surface roughness modeling are insignificant
when compared to all of the other channel impairments in a poorly
terminated system at these data rates.  The proper tools for these sorts
of systems look like hammers and chisels vs.  laser scalpels.

scott

colin_warwick@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi Marc,
>

> Further to Istvan's comment "ideally you need to do the frequency dependent
> simulation over the entire frequency range of interest,"
> frequency-independent loss violates the Kramers-Kronig relation and is
> therefore non-causal.
>

> Here are a couple of papers about one way of modeling frequency-dependent
> loss ("Svensson-Djordjevic" model) in such a way that the model is causal:
>
> * C. Svensson and G. Dermer, "Time domain modeling of lossy interconnects,"
> IEEE Trans. Adv. Packaging, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 191-196, May 2001.
>
> * T. Arabi, A. Murphy, T. Sarkar, R. Harrington, and A. Djordjevic, "On the
> modeling of conductor and substrate losses in multiconductor, multidielectric
> transmission line systems," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., vol. 39, no.
> 7, pp.1090-1097, Jul. 1991.
>

> Also, if you happen to be going to IEEE MMT-S IMS 2009 in Boston in June, you
> can check out our paper about Svensson-Djordjevic implementation:
>
> * Radoslaw M. Biernacki, Yunhui Chu, Fangyi Rao, and Yutao Hu "Causality
> Enforcement in Fast EM-based Simulation of Multilayer Transmission Lines"
>

> hth
>
> -- Colin Warwick, Agilent EEsof EDA
>
> http://signal-integrity-tips.com

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: