[SI-LIST] Re: Prepreg dielectric constant and thickness: what actual values to use?

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wolfgang.maichen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 13:08:04 -0400

Wolfgang,
You are absolutely correct.  In reality, to perform a thorough analysis
you would need to also separate each dielectric into it's constituent
parts, epoxy and glass fiber.   For differential pairs with edge
coupling, there is a significant divergence in Er, since epoxy may
squeeze through to fill the interstitial void, whereas fiberglass will
be generally constrained to the layers above or below the traces.  This
will reduce the edge coupling coefficients, since epoxy has a much lower
Er than glass.

Scott

--
Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: