[SI-LIST] Re: Peak Distortion Analysis

  • From: "Dmitriev-Zdorov, Vladimir" <vladimir_dmitriev-zdorov@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Cheng, Chris" <chris.cheng@xxxxxx>, "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 18:02:11 +0000

Chris,

Thank you for the detailed observation: it defines many sensitive points in
SERDES analysis.

I share reasonable skepticism about fidelity of the PDA and statistical
analysis when applied to real life designs. This is also true for time domain
or bit by bit analysis, even if we assume it can work miraculously fast and
does not have a sample size problem limiting for the desired BER level.

Inaccuracies come from many sources, including channel characterization,
modeling of Tx and Rx signal processing in Spice, IBIS AMI or other
representations. Some of those we - EDA tool - can control (e.g. finding
accurate channel response) but some can't. We can only hope that the models we
get are somewhat close to reality and do best assuming it is true. In that
regard, we cannot overestimate an importance of correlation to measurements,
whenever possible.

> I do feel a hybrid approach of combining PDA with statistical analysis can be
> a good compromise.

Agree. But, I would even extend your proposal onto combining 3 methods: PDA,
statistical AND bit by bit analysis. By doing so we can - at least partially -
tackle the problems you mentioned: a need for end to end channel
characterization - not just the one at the Rx input, plus considering possible
Tx/Rx parameter adaptation, and back channel communication.

>My question is, how do you define your worst case pattern under the above
>system ? At the minimum the equalization is divided between the Tx FIR, Rx
>CTLE/VGA and Rx DFE. In our observation, at least the DFE is moving in time
>and does not stay constant. I've seen claims that even the CTLE is non linear
>and subject to large signal variation. How do we lock down the tap settings
>for the FIR, CTLE and DFE to generate the PDA worst case pattern ? To make
>things even more interesting, there are standards (such as 12G SAS) which
>allows back channel adjustment between the Tx and Rx.

Imagine a typical bit by bit analysis, which by way of Spice, behavioral, or
IBIS AMI models can include constant or adaptive CTLE, DFE and CDR effects so
that the waveform we get at the sample point somehow describes the combined
effect of those blocks. We know that probabilities of 1e-12 or below are
unreachable, but what if we include PDA and statistical into this flow? To do
that, we of course need to get the end to end link response, an equivalent edge
or impulse response dynamically. This is doable: EDA tool can control the
pattern it applies at Tx and gets the waveform from Rx (possibly, with the
synch times from its CDR). By having the two waveforms, there is a method we
use to extract an equivalent impulse or edge response - some type of
de-convolution. There is also a way to make it numerically well-defined. After
we get this equivalent response, we can pause bit by bit flow, to give way to
PDA and statistical analysis performed by EDA tool so that we get the LTI-wise
snapshot of Eye/BER giving us low probability estimates within the long non-LTI
development in bit by bit analysis, and possibly even in presence of
back-channel communication. Then, we should resume time domain analysis and
after a while produce another snapshot based on the newly extracted response.
Having them accumulated over a periods of simulation, we can hope to get a
better feeling of what we are dealing with. Ultimately, we build the combined
statistical picture from many of those partial characterizations.
Yes, the analogy with the elephant in the dark room applies well. Different
types of analyses give us different perspectives.

> Your worst case pattern may induce a dynamic adjustment of the equalizer
> settings that may results in a different worst case pattern.
In the above flow, the models do not feel that we do something behind their
backs. PDA & statistical analyses are used to repeatedly build statistical
EYE/BERs. Time domain development is needed to consider adaptation and other
non-LTI effects.
But, there is a choice flow that we implemented (presented at DesignCon couple
years ago). By making PDA from the snapshot response, we get the worst pattern
(with respect to Rx output) and then apply it immediately as an input to the
ongoing bit by bit analysis. This gives extra stress to the models and may
reveal some hidden corners. We call it stress mode simulation: it produces more
stressed eye/BER as compared to the bit by bit analysis with a 'regular' input.
Since PDA is combined with statistical, we have an estimate of where we are
with this PDA in terms of probability, and adjust the resulting BER accordingly.

How else we can combine the advantages of non-LTI compliant bit-by-bit
analysis, with an low probability insight provided by PDA and statistical?

Vladimir