[SI-LIST] Partial Inductance

  • From: Albert Ruehli <ruehli@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 15:19:51 -0400

Hi
once we learn to think in terms of partial inductances it becomes a very
useful concept.
Assuming that we have a rectangular loop, then its inductance (loop) is
given by
L(loop) = Lp_11 + Lp_22 + Lp_33 + Lp_44 - 2 Lp_13 - 2 Lp_24

where Lp_ij are the partial inductances.   Intuitively, we have the
partial self inductances
which have a flux associated with them to infinity.  However for each of
the partial self
inductances, there is a partial mutual inductance associated to subtract
the flux to infinity
(from the other side)  so that only the flux in the loop remains.   So,
partial inductances
are very useful for inductance computations.

Now assume that we have a solder ball and we know its partial self
inductance.  Is this
number useful or not?   So essentially we have Lp_11 and we don't exactly
know where
the return current is going to be.  If the distance to the ground return
is large compared
to the length of the via, then the partial mutual inductance Lp_13 is
relatively small
and we can estimate the loop inductance as  L(loop)  as  Lp_11 + Lp_33. If
there
are many ground returns, Lp_33 may be small.   Also, we have assumed a
quasi- 2D
situation with respect to the top and bottom loop closure.   However, the
point I am
trying to make is that the  solder ball partial inductance can be a good
rough estimate
for the inductive discontinuity.

Another point I want to make is that we don't need closed loops for
partial inductances.
We can make a PEEC model for a lambda/4 antenna where the end is open,
from a
direct current path point of view.   So the partial inductances of the
antenna wires do
not form a loop.

Regards,
Al

Albert Ruehli
ruehli@xxxxxxxxxx
914-945-1592  TL  862-1592, Fax  914-945-4244

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at: