[SI-LIST] Parasitic Coupling Between Unshielded Wire Loops

  • From: Doug Smith <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SI-List <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, emc-pstc <emc-pstc@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2008 20:33:51 -0700

 Hi All,
I have just posted the third in a four part series of Technical Tidbits on
shielded/unshielded loops. This article shows that for some uses, unshielded
loops have less parasitic E-field coupling than shielded ones. In particular
the unshielded loops appear better when used right up against a circuit
boardto inject signals and my extension to sense them as well.

The Square Shielded Loop - Part 3, Parasitic Coupling Between Unshielded
WireLoops
(July 2008 Technical Tidbit)

Abstract: Unshielded wire loops are inexpensive and easy to build. However,
capacitive (E field) coupling has always been a concern when using these
simple loops. Coupling between unshielded wire loops is investigated,
included parasitic capacitive coupling. Performance is compared to shielded
loops and the simple unshielded wire loop is shown to be superior in some
cases to shielded loops.

The link to the article is the picture of the experimental setup at the
bottom of the page at:

http://emcesd.com[1]

Enjoy,
Doug