[SI-LIST] Re: PLL spectrum...

  • From: Parthasarathy Sampath <parthsv@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: timoceous@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 22:13:32 -0800 (PST)

Hi Tim,
  Its really difficult to tell where the harmonics are
generated without analysing the ckt. Here is what i
can think of :
 Generally PLL's are designed to lock to only one freq
based on what divide by value set in the divider ckt.
So if input to PLL is say 300MHz and divide value in
divider ckt is say 3 then o/p will definetly be
100MHz. VCO cannot generate any other freq since its
voltage control points to the divide-by value.
 Moreover even if divider ckt or VCO generate
harmonics, then PFD will not give correct phase shift
and will not be able to generate correct voltage to
VCO. Hence PLL will never lock.
  So my guess would be serializer generates harmonics.

 Hope This helps

Regards
Partha!
--- Tim Lu <timoceous@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>    I am analyzing the output spectrum of a PLL +
> Serializer chip. Looking at the serial clock output
> did see the locked output spectrum at 100Mhz.
> Second
> harmonic at 50Mhz and third harmonic 25Mhz.
>
>    I do have a total of divided by 4 in the feedback
> path.  In the other path the VCO output of 100Mhz
> are
> feed into a serializer block. Where is it also
> divided
> by 4 to get the low speed 25Mb/s parallel data to be
> serialized to the 100Mbs.  Both the data and clock
> comes out and the spectrum frequency I have
> mentioned
> above are looking at the serial clock from the
> serializer.
>
>    Here is my question, is there a way to find out
> where the 2nd and 3rd harmonic is coming from?  Is
> it
> coming from the PLL feedback path or is it coming
> from
> the serializr divider?  I can't use the spectrum
> analyzer to look at the  inside the chip.  I would
> like to find out a way to test and find out where
> the
> 2nd and 3rd harmonic is coming from in the chip.
> Any
> help is greatly  appreciated.
>
> T.

> the Subject field
>
> or to administer your membership from a web page, go
> to:

> si-list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'help' in the
> Subject field
>
> List archives are viewable at:
> Old (prior to June 6, 2001) list archives are
> viewable at:

List archives are viewable at: