[SI-LIST] PECL to CMOS conversion

  • From: Chris Landrum x311 <clandrum@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 09:02:11 -0500

Anyone have a good method of converting a PECL signal into a 1.8V CMOS
signal.  By "good signal", I mean one that has low jitter and is clean
looking.

Currently I have a 156MHz clock driver drving a PECL clock signal to a part
that has a single ended clock input (1.8V CMOS).  I have terminated it as
per the following:

        peclclk_n is terminated with 150 Ohm res to GND.

        peclclk_p is AC coupled (100nF) and then terminated with a THEV
parallel circuit to 1.8V (to set the bias).  The thev term
                resistors are both 150 Ohm.  This gives me a symmetrical
swing right at 0.9V.

The result is a very acceptable looking clock, but unfortunately, it appears
to have too much jitter for the receiving device.  As an example, the stated
output jitter of the PECL buffer is

        JITTERosc + 2ps = ~10ps (max).

I measure 25ps of cyc-cyc jitter on the input of the recieving device.
Doesn't quite add up.

Any thoughts?

List archives are viewable at: