[SI-LIST] Re: PCI I/O design jumpstart

  • From: "Ingraham, Andrew" <Andrew.Ingraham@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <degerstrom.michael@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 14:16:26 -0500

> 1) We have the PCI Local Bus Rev 2.2 spec.  Are there any
> other spec's/app notes that will be of use?

For plain PCI, I think that is most of what you NEED.  You could also =
pick up one of the commercial PCI books, but some just re-hash the spec. =
 Seeing it in another light can help some folks.

> 2) The CMOS technolgy will be 3.3V compliant but not 5 Volt
> compliant.  Are there 5 Volt signals on the mainboard or
> other PCI cards that may not be compatible with our 3.3V
> maximum voltage requirement?

Understand that PCI has two electrically different kinds of buses: 5V, =
and 3.3V.  The choice is made in the design of the motherboard or system =
board.  Any PCI bus is either 5V or 3.3V, and can't be changed.  An =
add-in card can be either, or both ("Universal").

To date, most PCI buses have been of the 5V variety; there are few 3.3V =
buses yet.

A 5V PCI bus doesn't mean that the signals are full 5V rail-to-rail.  A =
3.3V CMOS rail-to-rail signal may satisfy the 5V PCI electrical =
requirements.  But being attached to a 5V PCI bus, means that you need =
to accept steady-state 5V signals (without clamping to 3.3V), should a =
device on the bus drive them.  And then there's overshoot, which can go =
a volt or more beyond the rails, especially on a 5V PCI bus where there =
might be no high side clamp diodes.

On a true 3.3V PCI bus, there would be no 5V signals on the bus (aside =
from DC power).  There are a few loosely defined signals on the PCI =
connector, i.e. JTAG, that aren't really defined electrically in the PCI =
spec, but let's ignore those.

Motherboards built to the Rev. 2.1 spec were not required to provide =
3.3V power on 5V PCI connectors.  This forced many PCI add-in cards to =
have on-card regulators.  Motherboards that comply with the Rev. 2.2 =
spec must supply 3.3V power.  Still, you may encounter systems, even new =
ones, that don't.  If your cards are 3.3V PCI only (no 5V tolerance), =
this shouldn't be an issue for you.

> 3) What is/are the basic I/O?  For example are all I/O
> the same bi-directional design or are there input-only and
> output-only buffers?  I've seen mention of open-drain
> outputs.  Is this for some kind of wired-OR equivalent
> operation?  Are there are terminating resistors?

Most PCI signals are bi-directional but some are uni-directional (clock, =
reset, request, grant, interrupts).  And there are a few open-drain =
outputs.  See section 2.2.*.  You could use bi-directional buffers for =
all, assuming they meet the electrical and timing specs.  Even the =
uni-directional signals sometimes need to go hi-Z.

The system error (SERR#) and INTerrupt lines are open-drain and CAN be =
wire-OR'd on the motherboard, or not.  Pull-up resistors are provided on =
the motherboard.

There are no terminating resistors in the sense of S.I. terminations, =
but many signals use weak pull-up resistors.  There are clamp diodes, =
which do perform somewhat of an energy termination function, built into =
every active device on the bus.

Note that bi-directional signals are not allowed to monitor their own =
outputs while driving.  They must have an internal path that bypasses =
the output/input buffers.

REQ# (and GNT#) are allowed to be half-strength drivers, but I don't =
know if anyone actually does this.

> 4) There are 3.3V pull-up and pull-down curves and=20
> other AC and DC specs in the rev. 2.2 document.  Is=20
> this information complete enough to design PCI I/O?

Basically, if you meet the AC and DC and timing specs that are in the =
document, you should be OK electrically.  Slower slew rates are =
preferred.  PCI tends to be a noisy bus; lots of ringing and overshoot.

List archives are viewable at: