[SI-LIST] PCI I/O design jumpstart

  • From: "Degerstrom, Michael J." <degerstrom.michael@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 10:52:40 -0600

Hello,

We are just beginning a task to design PCI compliant I/O.
In addition to pouring over specifications I would greatly
appreciate if anyone could offer answers for the following
questions.  We have designed full swing CMOS input, output,
tri-state and bi-directional output buffers in the past and
have done many other I/O and signal-integrity related projects.
So we are looking for PCI specific information only.
Here's the questions:

1) We have the PCI Local Bus Rev 2.2 spec.  Are there any
other spec's/app notes that will be of use?

2) The CMOS technolgy will be 3.3V compliant but not 5 Volt
compliant.  Are there 5 Volt signals on the mainboard or
other PCI cards that may not be compatible with our 3.3V
maximum voltage requirement?

3) What is/are the basic I/O?  For example are all I/O
the same bi-directional design or are there input-only and
output-only buffers?  I've seen mention of open-drain
outputs.  Is this for some kind of wired-OR equivalent
operation?  Are there are terminating resistors?

4) There are 3.3V pull-up and pull-down curves and
other AC and DC specs in the rev. 2.2 document.  Is
this information complete enough to design PCI I/O?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

List archives are viewable at: