[SI-LIST] Re: PCI Express reference clock, is it needed?

  • From: "Muzaffer Kal" <kal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 23:33:03 -0800

One always needs a good quality reference clock in a PHY so getting it
routed avoids a crystal on your board.
If on the other hand, PCIE link is coming over a cable then a local clock
source is needed.
Of course in either case, the clock recovery process in the PHY has to
multiply the reference clock to a frequency
suitable for sampling the incoming data and adjust the phase only (when the
same reference clock transmitter
is using is available) or do full clock recovery by adjusting the frequency
(as in the latter case where only PCIE
data is available over the cable.) In either case, the clock recovery has to
find the optimal place to sample the
incoming bitstream (roughly in the center of the eye) but when there are two
separate clock sources, as they are
almost always a little out of phase, this process is a little more
difficult.

Kal