[SI-LIST] PCI Express reference clock, is it needed?

  • From: Pehr Andersson <andersson.pehr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 01:16:21 +0100

Hello dear readers, I have maybe a silly question that has been
bugging me for a while, hopefully it will get answered so it's not
bugging me anymore :).

For PCI Express it is stated that the clock signal is embedded within
the data signal.

Why do we then need to route reference clock (REFCLK), that is an
external clock signal for PCI Express?

Would PCI Express data communication work even if we didn't have
REFCLK? Say it we go over a cable for instance.

Thank you for you time,
Best regards, Pelle

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net