[SI-LIST] Re: Off-topic? Questions about measuring power supply ripple/noise (PARD)

  • From: "istvan novak" <istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <AD123338@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 06:44:34 -0400

Adam,

The procedure you want to follow may depend on whether you do
design validation in the lab, or want to create production testing for
the manufacturing floor.

The 20MHz scope bandwidth is the typical value people use on
production testing.  It has a couple of reasons I can think of:
- in a production environment it would be difficult to make
sure that >20MHz noise contents is NOT picked up from the
environment
- in the old days, 20MHz covered generously the possible
switching frequencies even if you applied the 100xswitching-frequency
rule

A well-designed switching regulator will generate an approx.
sawtooth-like periodic output ripple (corresponding to the
switching frequency), plus a transient noise
part, which in case of random load, looks like a random noise.
The random noise with DC load should be much smaller than the
periodic ripple.

Not well-behaved and/or faulty switching regulators may
exhibit a) deterministic or random subharmonic oscillation
(if this happens, it is easy to catch the different ripple
frequency and magnitude with a 20MHz scope), or b)
periodical or slightly random self oscillation at a frequency
unrelated to but lower than the switching frequency
(should be equally easy to catch with a 20MHz scope),
or c) strong high-frequency ringing sitting on the
switching edges (its frequency may be much higher than 20MHz.,
so catching it will not be possible with a 20MHz scope).

In lab validation environment it should be possible to should
be possible to solder coax cables with short pigtail to the
output points, and to use a wide-band scope to check for all
possible problem, and to check the transient behavior if
your electronic load has pulsed-load capability, or to
connect the coax cable(s) to a network analyzer to
measure the small-signal output impedance.

You are right, the 10uF + 0.1uF capacitors mostly do
not represent actual usage conditions.  In best, those are
there to suppress the extra noise you may pick up from the
loose cable bunch you have at the power-supply's output.
A well-designed regulator should not require any external
capacitor to meet the specification within its stated regulation
bandwidth.  Outside of the regulation bandwidth we have to
rely on external bulk and bypass capacitors anyway.

Catching the peak-to-peak noise in infinite persistence is a
good way, but first you have to make sure that the scope probe,
the probe cable and possible ground loops associated with the
scope and DUT will not produce too much erronous noise pickup.
you can check it by using the same exact setup you plan on using
for the measurement, except connect both the hot and ground
points of your probe to the ground point on the DUT.  Taking the
reading in this setup will give you the background noise reading.
You may find that switching AC loads (for instance lights, or
motors) or ESD discharge in the neighborhood would generate
big background noise reading.

Regards

Istvan Novak
SUN Microsystems