[SI-LIST] Re: OT: e-mail encoding? (was; Via Inductance Formula Assumptions)

  • From: "Ingraham, Andrew" <a.ingraham@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Si-List (E-mail)" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 18:30:21 -0400

It's BASE-64 encoding, sometimes used by e-mail programs to send binary or
not-quite-text messages over the internet.

Some people seem to receive them just fine, they must have e-mail client
programs that are clever enough to recognize a base64 encoded message/file
without the explicit tags that say it's base64 encoded.  Me, I see the junk
just like you did.  (I think our list moderator sees them that way too.)

Base-64 decoder programs are out there, but it's a pain in the you-know-what
to have to (1) save the original message, (2) strip off the top and bottom,
(3) strip off carriage-returns (if you have a mixed DOS/Unix environment),
(4) run the decoder, and (5) somehow put it back into mail, or just view it
and delete it.  Would have been easier for us all if they had just sent
their message as straight text.

Regards,
Andy

> Would someone be so kind as to let me know why I receive some posts in =
> the format below?  ...

> YXJ0IGJlIHRoZSBzYW1lDQpvbiB0aGUgdGVzdCBib2FyZCBhcyBvbiB0aGUgVEhSVSBjYWxpY=

List archives are viewable at: