[SI-LIST] More inexpensive test equipment

  • From: Doug Smith <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SI-List <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 05:54:35 -0700

Hi All,

I am writing this from Oxford University where I will be teaching the
next few days. This dorm room makes me feel like I am back in college
(except these days dorm rooms come with high speed internet access).

My June article talks about using an asparagus can in the developement
lab as a test probe/antenna. The article was inspired by the story of
just such a test probe made in the Andes mountains in 1966 out of
necessity to find an equipment problem.

The article abstract is:

Abstract: Test equipment does not always have to be expensive. A
simple horn antenna made from an asparagus can is described and its
use outlined. This device has been successfully used for debugging
emissions problems in new designs.

Go to http://emcesd.com and page down to the picture of the asparagus
can near the bottom of the page.

Next week I am participating in an IEEE event in Orange County, CA. If
you are close by, stop in. The local chapter contact and info is:

June 12, 2003
Orange County, California EMC Chapter
EMC Fest '03
EMC: Black Magic "Dispelled" (And Replaced by Basic Physics)
With Speakers W. Michael King and
Doug Smith
The Hyatt Regency in Irvine
Randy Flinders, Emulex
714-513-8012, rflinders@xxxxxxxx

Doug

     ___          _            Doug Smith
      \          / )           P.O. Box 1457
       =========               Los Gatos, CA 95031-1457
    _ / \     / \ _            TEL/FAX: 408-356-4186/358-3799
  /  /\  \ ] /  /\  \          Mobile:  408-858-4528
|  q-----( )  |  o  |         Email:   doug@xxxxxxxxxx
  \ _ /    ]    \ _ /          Web:     http://www.dsmith.org

List archives are viewable at: