[SI-LIST] Re: Mode conversion

  • From: Julian Ferry <julian.ferry@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'benrothchild@xxxxxxxxx'" <benrothchild@xxxxxxxxx>,si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 14:02:52 -0500

Mode conversion can most definitely occur in a connector for reasons other
than differences in path length.  Anything that causes a difference in the
impedance of one terminal of a pair, as compared the impedance of the other
terminal of the same pair, can lead to problems.  Basically, the shorthand
term for such differences is "balance", which has been mentioned here
previously.   If the terminals are perfectly balanced, the impedance of each
will be identical.  This impedance can be referenced to ground, or it could
be referenced to any other entity or entities.

Its not unusual to find imbalances at the outer edge or corner of a multi
row connector.  That is, where a terminal pin might have only one
"neighbor", as opposed to the two neighbors that the internal terminals
have.  Imbalances can also be generated where one terminal of a pair is more
tightly coupled to ground (maybe a ground pin or a shield) than the other
terminal of the pair.

Julian Ferry
High Speed Engineering Manager
Samtec, Inc.