[SI-LIST] Re: Moat and drawbridge

  • From: Guasti Giovanni <Giovanni.Guasti@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 12:28:32 +0100

Hi Chris,
I would like to tell our experience with moat and bridges made some years
ago:
I had just red a book of M. Montrose, in which this idea was well explained.
So we made a commercial PCB whith a moat and a bridge in.
First we found a lot of problem in drawing nets without crossing the moat.
Then we didn't succeed in having less noise on GND-inside-moat and
GND-outside-moat.
We had a lot of EMI-EMC and crosstalk problems.
As we changed from the bridge+moat case to that one with a wide, entire GND
plane all problems disappeared, specially EMC.
We made some simulation with HFSS and we noticed that in some cases a moat
can really make a filtered area, it is able to mask a punctiform noise surge
outside or inside, but this is not true everywere on the PCB: there are some
regions of the PCB where noise grows, or where new specular surges of noise
appear.
Then, if you want to draw all the nets on the bridge, you'll find some xtalk
effects, because the bridge has to be narrow and nets are many...
So I think that moat cannot be a simple way to reduce noise, or at least,
you should perform a good simulation before drawing the moat. But this
simulation is complex for many reasons, for example it's often impossible to
represent all the most important noise surges.
And when the time-to-market is pressing, I think that an entire, old GND
plane is a good choice.
By,
        Giovanni
(sorry for my terrible English)