[SI-LIST] Measuring PDN impedance with a VNA?

  • From: miner_tom Cipollone <tom_cip_11551@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 00:03:05 +0000

I have read several references about how to measure the impedance of a PCB PDN
(power to ground).
A VNA can be used to measure these very low impedances but there is usually a
catch in terms of the probes that should be used. Agilent says that in order to
measure very low impedances "microprobes" should be used. I do not have
microprobes.
As an alternative, I have considered building a "Dual Semi-rigid" probe as
outlined in
http://www.electrical-integrity.com/Paper_download_files/DC99_ProbesAndSetup.pdf.

With respect to the semi rigid probe made from coax, I have two questions:
In the diagram shown in the referenced article on page 8, slide 18, the tips of
the probes are not shorted together. I would have thought that for this
measurement they would be.Up to what frequency is this home made apparatus
good? Are there alternative methods?
Thank You

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: