[SI-LIST] Re: Lower epsilon achieves lower crosstalk

  • From: Istvan Novak <istvan.novak@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Stefan Milnor <stefan.milnor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 08:41:44 -0500

Stefan,

Yes, it was correctly stated by Zhenggang that there is no (inherent)
far end
crosstalk in homogeneous interconnects.  The two minor clarifications are
useful to understand, but in the end result they do not make a big
difference.
The first clarification is that what is NOT present in a homogeneous
interconnect is the INHERENT far end crosstalk.  This means you get no
far end crosstalk if all ports are matched terminated.  With multiple
coupled
interconnects matching with single-ended resistors is just approximate,
so we need to assume the coupling is not very tight.  If you have major
mismatches, part of the near end crosstalk gets reflected back and you
will get a signal at the far end even in homogeneous coupled interconnects;
this is however due to reflections.  The second clarification is the need
for homogeneity: it means the entire cross section carrying the coupled
waves is electrically the same.  When we think about how stripline is
built up,
we immediately see ways how we can be in minor violation of this
requirement.
The dielectric layer below and above the trace come from different sources,
so even if they are nominally the same, practically there could be small
differences in Dk (and also in Df).  There are situations when even the
nominal parameters will be slightly different, for instance when the layer
below and above the trace have different glass-resin ratios: it changes
Dk and Df slightly.  Take also the fact that resin from the prepreg has
to flow
out from the dielectric to fill the voids where you etched away copper,
throw in glass-weave effects, and we can identify multiple reasons why
a stripline in practice may not be perfectly homogeneous.  On bare fabs
you can measure a small far end inherent crosstalk, but as said above,
these are minor second-order effects.  On the big picture there is no
far end crosstalk in stripline in matched case.

Zhenggand also correctly stated the reason expressed mathematically:
in striplines relative capacitive and inductive couplings are identical. A
physical explanation for it is that in homogeneous materials there is
only a single speed for any electromagnetic wave (it can be frequency
dependent though).  In non-homogeneous interconnects there will
be different propagation speeds and the racing condition between
the faster and slower waves will create the crosstalk waveform at the
far end.  In a bandlimited fashion the far end crosstalk in microstrips
can be compensated for, either on purpose, or sometimes we may
get it as a welcome side effect.  There have been many publications on
this subject: you can find one of our early publications
"Reduction of Far-End Crosstalk on Coupled Microstrip PCB Interconnect"
from 1994 posted at http://www.electrical-integrity.com/ >> Paper
download.

All in all, stripline has not only no (or very low) inherent far end
crosstalk,
but also in stripline near end crosstalk drops off much faster with
distance,
and therefore for the same overall crosstalk you can pack traces more
tightly.

Regards,

Istvan Novak
Oracle