[SI-LIST] Re: Loss Tangent of Solder Mask

  • From: gustavo.duenas@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 10:02:20 -0800

Scott,

I saw an app note from Accelerant Networks (16_0008_A.pdf) that states the
loss tangent of solder mask is rather lower than fr4 (0.001), yet you said
you determined it must be higher than 0.02? Are there different types of
maks? Anybody would like to clarify? I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Gus

Michael,

At the time we believed that the loss tangent of soldermask was about
0.02.  Based upon high frequency eye losses that we were seeing, we
determined that the loss tangent must be higher.  We didn't make any
additional measurements to determine the loss tangent precisely, nor did
we go back and make corrections to our model and resolve for the higher
loss tangent.

scott

List archives are viewable at: