[SI-LIST] Let's talk laminate induced skew

  • From: "Bill Dempsey" <bdempsey85@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 18:48:07 -0600

Hi All,

I've been reading a couple of these papers published on laminate induced
skew of trace pairs.  I know that several contributors to this forum are the
authors of those papers and I would like to dig into this problem a little
bit more.
I am getting ready to build a backplane for a customer that has 40" of trace
and mulitple pairs running between two connectors.  They would like to reach
6.5Gbps on these traces but when I look at some of these published figures
for just p-to-n skew I am worried about being able to have a reasonable eye
opening at the receiver (without EQ or pre-emphasis).

Can I take a poll from the community and ask who else has measured data for
laminate skew? What did you see?
How many people out there are running 40" or more at greater than 3.125 Gbps
using FR4 (or similar material) with success?  Did you compensate for
laminate skew?

Lastly, how much does a Rogers 4350 dielectric exhibit this tendency?

Thanks,
Bill

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net