[SI-LIST] Re: Jitter measurement floor on different high bandwidth oscilloscopes

  • From: Kirby Goulet <kgoulet@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 03:20:40 -0700 (PDT)

Many years ago I saw an application note which suggested the input gain be
maximized when doing jitter measurements.
One problem with that is that some samples around the threshold crossing may
get clipped.  The loss of signal information can then affect the interpolation
results, depending on the interpolation method.
As part of an open source signal analysis project, I did some basic analysis
for linear interpolation on the affect of slew rate, sampling frequency and
quantization.  The notes are available
athttp://wavu.sourceforge.net/linear-interpolation-error2.html
Of course, the scope software is much more complex, but it does show how
complex a simple case can be.
I wonder if scope manufacturers could (or maybe already do) tune their sample
clocks up and down a few 100 ppm in order to help  remove errors caused by the
relation between sample and signal frequency.