[SI-LIST] Re: Jitter measurement floor on different high bandwidth oscilloscopes

  • From: "T.K. Jeon" <tkjeon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Alfred P. Neves" <al@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 18:30:14 -0700

I guess that using a spectrum analyzer is one of the good ideas to benchmark
jitter packages, especially, for PJ-RJ separation.

I noticed that some postprocessing algorithms show poor performance to separate
PJ and RJ effectively when the source is clock-like(1010) signal. In other
words, when there is a spectral peak from the signal spectrum, which should
correspond to PJ, a jitter package could fail to take that for PJ calculation.
The phase noise at a spectral peak can be easily obtained without any special
tools. In order to compute phase noise from signal spectrum, you can read X dB
on the peak in the sideband using the marker, and then you will need to
subtract noise power bandwidth, which is usually 1.2*RBW(Resolution Bandwidth).
Furthermore, a correction factor (roughly 2.5dB for Agilent spectrum analyzer)
should be added for noise distribution.

Regards,
TK