[SI-LIST] Re: Internal Inductance

  • From: Ege Engin <engin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 11:10:23 +0200

Craig,

The internal inductance is frequency dependent, and simulations at
multiple frequency points are necessary as Scott explained. L.J.
Giacoletto; "Frequency- and Time-Domain Analysis of Skin Effects", IEEE
Tran. Mag., Jan. 1996, gives some analytical formulas for rectangular
conductors.

I assume you want to obtain the internal inductance at dc. The method
that we apply to extract the dc internal inductance of conductors is to
simulate at a very high and a very low frequency (if you have an
eddy-current solver such as Ansoft Maxwell 2D). The difference in the
inductances gives the dc internal inductance. Though, I think it is
difficult to obtain a definite internal inductance value for conductors
in the presence of planes. The reason is that if the planes are assumed
to be infinite in extent,  the current should distribute itself
uniformly in the planes at dc. But this should also mean that the
inductance goes to infinity! Although I could not find a supporting
statement in the literature, it seems obvious, and simulations have also
shown this divergent behavior. As a result, this method gives a definite
internal inductance value only if the planes have a finite (and known)
width.

Regards,
Ege

--
Diese E-Mail kann Betriebs- und Geschäftsgeheimnisse, dem Anwaltsgeheimnis
unterliegende oder sonstige vertrauliche Informationen enthalten. Sollten Sie

Since this e-mail contains confidential information, it must be treated with
utmost confidentiality. Any person who may get in contact with this information
by mistake should not take any notice of the topic and should not pass on or
duplicate any part of this information. The e-mail has to be destroyed and the
sender of the the e-mail has to be informed immediately. Thank you.

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at: