[SI-LIST] Re: Interconnect Lumped Modelling

  • From: "Dima Smolyansky" <Dima.Smolyansky@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 14:44:28 -0700

Strad,

This analysis comes to us, I believe, from the basic physics of matter -
more specifically, from the wave-particle duality of matter. There, an
object is considered a wave or a particle depending on its size compared to
the given wavelength. Lambda /10, specifically, is the rule there, where
Lambda is the wavelength, and this is why the most rigorous rule people
apply is Tr>Td/10.

Specifically to your question: before the edge reached 90% of its value, the
interconnect length should be traversed several times - about 10 times, if
you apply the rule above directly. Most practical designers I talked to are
content with smaller factors ( 2.5-4 is a typical ratio designers use), so
that is how many times the interconnect length is traversed.

For a faster rise time, the length of the interconnect that is considered
lumped must decrease - for a large rise time, it will increase.

Thanks,

Dima Smolyansky
TDA Systems, Inc.
4000 Kruse Way Place