[SI-LIST] Re: Insertion Loss, Return Loss, ILD, UNi versus Dual stripline

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ken Cantrell <Ken.Cantrell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2010 11:33:18 -0400

With 4-ports as follows

1 ----- 2
3 ----- 4

Create the stackups in an accurate solver, or better yet make high
quality measurements.  Model the dielectric layering such that each
layer has a different Dk, since they will be different in a real build.
Of course the measurements will naturally see this.

Look at S14 across the manufacturing variations.
Look at S12 across a long length of trace.

Both of these will tell you just how non-uniform your dielectric is,
which will ultimately have some impact on overall return loss.  Once you
have this down, then you can use the worst case to determine overall
variation in IL, RL, and ILD

don't forget to model the layer between the Plus and Minus side of the
traces correctly. (Where the core and prepreg materials interface.)
This region is resin rich, and has a different Dk than the surrounding
material layers.  It's value will impact differential coupling and
resistive losses between the trace edges.

Scott

On 8/5/2010 10:59 AM, Ken Cantrell wrote:
> Robert,
> Interesting question.  S11 is dependent on impedance matching between the
> source and the input port, and S21 is dependent on impedance matching
> between the load and the ouput port, and the associated line loss.  S11
> should be identical, but S21 should vary slightly between the two
> configurations.  For the dual strip configuration, given no coupling between
> the pairs, and the same permittivity and height on all layers concerned, the
> dual strip trace width would be>  than the stripline width, and have less
> resistive loss.  The dielectric loss would be constant.  Conversely the dual
> strip would be harder to manufacture, and the deviation would be greater.
>
> my guess,
>
> Ken

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: