[SI-LIST] Re: Importance of Package Height

  • From: "Abe Riazi" <ARIAZI@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 22:52:29 -0800

Larry Smith Wrote:

> I'm not sure what assumptions Kemet is making for
> inductance in their calculator.  Their inductance seems way high to
> me.  We have measured a lot of caps from a half dozen vendors and Kemet
> is no different than any of the others.  When mounted on a low
> inductance structure, the Kemet cap will behave as if it is
> significantly less than 1 nH.

Larry,

Thank you for an instructive reply.

The AVX SpiCap program may output considerably
smaller ESL for similar capacitor than the kemet Spice Simulator.
As an example, for the ceramic capacitor we recently discussed
the AVX answer is 1.0 nH compared to kemet's 1.94 nH.
Sometimes, use of Kemet software is preferable because it can show
 variations of ESL with capacitance values (for fixed package
size) while the AVX calculator can not.

I think (please correct me if I am wrong) the 1.0 nH by AVX and
the Kemet's 1.94 nH (and all other ESL results by these two
programs) apply to un-mounted capacitors.  Therefore, based
on your expected 600 pH for that 100 nF 0805 X7R cap
 both of these manufacturer calculators are providing ESL values
 which are too large/inaccurate in this case.

Best Regards,

Abe Riazi
ServerWorks

P.S. I also compared the AVX 1.0 nH value to the following measurement
result earlier reported by John Barnes:

                      Nominal
  Case            Capacitance   WV                                   ESL
  Size Dielectric        (pF)  (V)         Manufacturer Partnum     (pH)

0805   X7R             100000   25 AVX 08053C104JAT2A                900

and found them  reasonably close.

List archives are viewable at: