[SI-LIST] Re: Immersion gold

  • From: "Moran, Brian P" <brian.p.moran@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,"Martin Euredjian" <martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 17:44:47 -0700

Martin,

Folks are always looking for ways to improve the coplanarity or =
smoothness of SMT pads as we go to smaller and smaller geometries. You =
have to coat the exposed pads after plating and the soldermask is =
applied with something to keep the exposed pads from oxidizing, and for =
the solderpaste to adhere to. The cheap and dirty approach is to dip the =
board in tin/lead solder and then blow off all the excess.  Of course =
this can leave puddles and rough surfaces. So various alternatives have =
been attempted over the years to coat the bare platting pad surface. I =
forget the names of some of the coatings people have tried to make work =
with mixed results. The last time I was involved in such discussions =
people were looking at immersion gold, which is expensive, or immersion =
tin, which was discussed as a lower cost alternative to immersion gold. =
Not sure it ever caught on or what the trade offs were. In either case =
case the object is to prevent the pads from oxidizing while maintaining =
optimal flatness.=20

Brian P. Moran
Signal Integrity Engineer
Intel Corporation