[SI-LIST] Re: IBIS Models for the Devices working at GHz speed

  • From: "Ken Willis" <kwillis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 13:29:47 -0500

Hi,

One interesting thing you sometimes see is that the level of modeling
detail required can flip-flop from devices to interconnect as speeds
increase. At lower speeds, the drivers can have delayed turn-ons and
other complex non-linearities. The IBIS models have to be done very
carefully in order to get good correlation, while you can get away with
fairly coarse models for things like vias, and even use lumped package
parasitics. But at Gbps speeds, the drivers have to be very linear,
symmetric, and generally well-behaved or they wouldn't work very well.
Pretty simple behavioral models can do a good job representing them. But
the interconnect, including traces, vias, package details, etc. all need
to be modeled in gory detail to give good correlation. Just a general
observation.

Ken

Let the "out of office" message avalanche begin!