[SI-LIST] Re: How to simulate length mismatch of PCB traces

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: yc2158@xxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 01:30:56 -0800

Yongjin,  for the situation that you describe, W will work for the
common parallel runs.  Beyond that you can cascade on any:  LC, LRC,
U (RCRD), or 4O RLCG sections depending on just how accurate you
would like to be.  If the assumption is that the coupling on that
final segment is weak, then the simplest answer would be a single LRC
stage or the 4O model.  You can derive the L and C values from the
telegrapher's equations.  R is going to be quite small.  Your segment
is quite small at 1mm even compared to 100ps rise time.

When you are done, what you are going to see is a simple delay of
1mm*eR^-.5/C.  For an eR of 4.0, that translates to 1mm/150E9mm/s or
6.7ps.  L is going to be about 325pH, and C is going to be about 0.13pF.

If you go with a cascade of RLCGs or 4O elements, you can estimate
the line to line coupling with a field solver.  Likely you will be in
the 5-10% range.

Regards,

Steve.

List FAQ wiki page is located at: