[SI-LIST] Historical question: HSpice from Avant! ?

  • From: "Kolstad, Joel (EIP)" <jkolstad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 23:37:07 -0800

Hi,

I've been looking at SPICE simulators recently, and I've gotten to
wondering... how did HSpice by Avant! seem to become the industry standard?
(Many simulators advertise themselves as "HSpice compatible.")  Since Avant!
has only been around since 1995, where did HSpice come from?  What was 'the
industry standard' prior to HSpice?  Whatever happened to Spice
2g6/3f5/XSpice?

And perhaps more importantly...

-- What's attractive about HSpice vs. the competition?
-- Are SPICEs that call themselves "HSpice compatible" likely to be truly
compatible with models intended for HSpice?

Thanks,
---Joel Kolstad

List archives are viewable at: