[SI-LIST] Re: High Speed Serial Links Using LV Differential Receivers

  • From: steve weir <weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ron.J.Morneault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 16:51:27 -0800

Ron,

IMO, people who really care about data integrity implement filtering at the
link layer.  So, as long as the parts remain hot-swappable, the only
problem to address is making sure that PLL's don't go nuts and produce
clock pulses too narrow for the downstream logic.  Given that provision,
for newer parts that do not displace old devices, I think you could make a
decent argument for ditching the fail-safe in favor of performance.

But, as DC Sessions is happy to point out, LVDS is pretty old,  power
hungry, and increasingly unfriendly to modern core and I/O voltage
technology.  I think the real question is how appropriate LVDS is as a
forward going standard.

As far as any parts that would go into existing applications, I am sure
that there are many people applying LVDS today who rely on the receiver
fail-safe characteristics.

Regards,

Steve.

At 07:41 AM 3/1/2002 -0500, Ron.J.Morneault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>SI Community,
>
>Common problems with differential signaling applications is how the system
>responds to "loss of signal"
>situations or  fault conditions (ie. driver powered off, etc) as defined in
>the RS-644 electrical standard for
>LVDS interface circuits. We have learned that there is a trade off between
>integrated failsafe circuitry
>implementation in receivers and the data rate performance of the receivers.
>
>For a given level of power consumption, what is the trade off between
>integrated failsafe circuitry and no
>failsafe circuitry relative to the skew, jitter and speed performance?
>(from a system prespective)
>
>Looking forward to your comments.
>Regards,
>Ron Morneault