[SI-LIST] Re: High Speed PCB design standards

  • From: Nick Paulter <paulter@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 13:39:44 -0400

The IPC-2141, "Controlled impedance circuit boards and high speed logic
design," was published in 1996 as a guide to help engineers, designers, and
fabricators communicate with each other.  The revised guide, the IPC-2141A,
"Design guide for high-speed controlled impedance circuit boards,"
published in 2004, maintains that goal. The document is about 50 pages long
and includes sections on the design of common transmission lines used in
PWBs, materials, fabrication considerations (lithography, machining, etc.),
design for manufacture, TDR testing, etc.

I encourage anyone interested in contributing large or small to this
document to contact myself (nicholas.paulter@xxxxxxxx) or John Perry
(johnperry@xxxxxxx) of the IPC about joining the D-21c... it's free to join
(to match your compensation).  The only requirement regarding submitting
comments is to provide a suggested solution (deletions, additional text,
figures, references, etc.).  All suggestions are (and were) seriously
considered by the D-21c, that is, each comment is addressed by the
committee and voted upon.  Comments without corroboration (data,
observations and experience of others, etc.) were and will likely be rejected.

There is a related document, IPC-2252, "Design guide for RF/microwave
circuit boards," published in 2002, in which you may also be interested in
contributing.  Contact John Perry or myself if you are.

Best regards,

Nick
N.G. Paulter, Project Leader
Pulse Metrology and Time Domain Measurements
Mail Stop 8172
Gaithersburg, MD  20899
301-975-2405

List FAQ wiki page is located at: