[SI-LIST] Re: High Speed PCB design standards

  • From: Nick Paulter <paulter@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 13:24:34 -0400

I have a couple of comments regarding L. Ritchey's e-mail.

1. The IPC-2141A is not a standard, it is a guide, therefore, it is
instructional/informative and not normative.

2. "Rule of thumb" appears in 4 different paragraphs, regarding:
         1. maximum number of signal pins per ground pin
         2. when should a transmission line be considered a lumped or
distributed element
         3. separation of signal conductors of controlled impedance lines
from ground/reference planes on the same plane
         4. width of the reference plane relative to that of the signal line

3.  "Rule of thumb," "common knowledge," "general rule," "common practice"
are all somewhat similar terms that have the purpose of providing guidance.

4. The members of the IPC working group (D-21c) that rewrote the IPC-2141
are experts in what they do.  I doubt very much if these people would want
to have incorrect statements in the document.

5. The IPC-2141 was reviewed by experts outside of the D-21c.

I'm sorry if I wasted your time with this e-mail, but the unfortunate
comment may have inappropriately denigrated the work of the D-21c members,
which is not acceptable.

Regards,

N.G. Paulter, Project Leader
Pulse Metrology and Time Domain Measurements
Mail Stop 8172
Gaithersburg, MD  20899
301-975-2405

List FAQ wiki page is located at: