[SI-LIST] Ground Fill Question

  • From: "Vishram Pandit" <vishrampandit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 12:09:02 +0000

I have a question about the ground fill. Typically, for our designs, after
signal and plane routing is done, the ground fill is used on the remaining
space. After laying the ground fill, the CAD engineers see whether they can
find ground vias from the ground fill to the ground plane. If there is no
via, they remove the patch. It turns out that the ground patches are present
even if there is only one via on the entire patch. To give an example, say
there is a ground patch on the sides of a rectangle 2cmx2cm shape. It is
grounded only at one corner to the ground plane.

Theoretically, we should have as many as ground vias as possible from the
ground fill (patch) to the ground plane. However, because of the complexity
of the board, we found only one possible ground via. In this case, will the
given ground patch be helpful or harmful? What should be the criterion? Is
there any such design rule stating that there should be a ground via within
xx cm of distance. Obviously, it is going to be a function of frequency. If
so, should I use the maximum frequency on the board? If there is no
grounding via within xx cm of the distance should we reduce the size of the
ground fill??

Thanks in advance,
Vishram

List archives are viewable at: