[SI-LIST] Re: Matched Length Constaint Approximation for a bus running between 20-50MHz

  • From: "Dr. Edward P. Sayre" <esayre@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: michael@xxxxxxxxxx, <mkhusid@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 10:48:10 -0400

Mike:

Series termination is particularly nice for point to point common clock
distribution since one need not know "How long" the clock traces are; that
is, with parallel termination, one has to know where the traces end.

If you are referring to "Bussed" clocking, then series terminated lines
offer the possibility that the incident half height signal (prior to
reflection) might induce a premature trigger.  Bussed clocks are much rarer
than point to point common clocks, and in those cases where you need such a
bussed clock, design care must be exercised to avoid problems with series
termination.  Usually, end point parallel termination is used, especially
if the bussed clock is on a backplane, where terminations are typically
located at the end of the bus.  Bussed clocks are generally limited to
frequencies ~ 33 MHz rather than 100 MHz or above.  The upper limit is set
by the architecture, chip set, AC parameters and clock to data skew, set-up
and hold requirements.

Sincerely,

ed sayre
===========
At 01:32 PM 8/16/2002 -0700, Michael Smith wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have two questions related to reflective switching.  First does
>reflective switching provide an easy termination scheme by only
>requiring series terminators at the drivers?  This would drive half
>height waves down the line and full height would be achieved on the
>reflected pass.
>
>My second question is what do these schemes do for the clock.  I
>wouldn't think you would want a half height clock traversing the line
>and hovering at the switching threshold.  Do they drive a full height
>clock down the line?  If not how do they avoid multiple clock edges?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Michael Smith
>Hardware Engineer
>iZ Technology Corp.

+~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~+
|       NORTH EAST SYSTEMS ASSOCIATES, INC.       |
|     "High Performance Engineering & Design"     |
| Dr. Ed Sayre            e-mail: esayre@xxxxxxxx |
| NESA, Inc.              http://www.nesa.com/    |
| Primrose Park           Tel +1.978.392-8787     |
| 5 LAN Drive, Ste 200    Fax +1.978.392-8686     |
| Westford, MA  01886                             |

List archives are viewable at: