[SI-LIST] Re: Fw: Decoupling capacitor,

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bill Owsley <wdowsley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 21:21:50 -0700

Bill only if we assume that the interconnect cavity is substantively
thick and that the load die has negligible capacitance.  This becomes a
very interesting problem when trying to design stuff that has a lot of
fast switching that also wants to live on a cheap four layer PCB.  The
processor manufacturers found out a long time ago that a combination of
a lot of die capacitance and in package capacitors is the only way to
keep those loads fed at frequencies above where arbitrary caps placed
right up against and/or under the chip package attached through a thick
cavity can be sufficient.

Regards,

Steve.

List technical documents are available at: