[SI-LIST] External Influences on DRAM Refresh Rate?

  • From: Jason Pritchard <jpritchard@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 13:31:41 +0000

Hi All,
I'm curious if anyone has identified other factors that influence the refresh
rate of DRAM (on a DIMM) besides temperature?

DIMMS are typically rated to 85C before the refresh rate needs to increase, but
I have seen instances where the refresh rate had to be modified well before
that point to avoid errors.

Are there external board related influences that could work in conjunction with
temperature to decrease the rating of the DRAM?

OR is this a case that the DRAM manufactures don't really have a good way to
identify weak bits and you should expect DRAM to fail below the specified
temperature?

Thanks,
Jason

List forum  is accessible at: