[SI-LIST] Re: Ethernet 1000-BaseT Full duplex Signaling ..

  • From: "N. Paul Taddonio" <paul.taddonio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Hermann.Ruckerbauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2015 09:29:48 -0400

Hermann,

I was wondering about that too! I found a slide presentation introducing
IEEE 802.3ab.

This signaling method actually sends signals in both directions
simultaneously.

It uses a "hybrid" circuit to remove the "self echo", ie cancel its own
transmission at it's receiver.
It also uses a lot of transistors for a complex encoding scheme, as well as
Digital Signal Processing
for Echo Cancellation and Crosstalk removal. It does training and adaptive
EQ.
It was also an early example of the use of DFE (decision feedback eq).

It required 125 MHz, 7-bit A/D conversion, to capture the 4-level data, back
in 1996 or so.

-Paul