[SI-LIST] Re: E1/T1/E3/T3 requirements

  • From: pwelling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 11:34:12 -0700

Bob,

I think that you should plan to meet UL/IEC and FCC/CE-Mark (CE if you
actually have European requirements) in the design. Contract requirements
may exclude these specifications, but if a problem is traced to your design
and linked to an "up-time" issue due to AC crossover, lightning, other
system damage as a result of coupling to power subsystems, etc., it will be
your fault anyway. If not by company reputation, by personal reputation.

The same may be true of an emission problem or susceptibility problem.

It's not that hard to put these design recommendations in - unless there is
a problem already in the layout that you are fixing after release.

There have been ALOT of good comments on this subject and I'm sure that many
have learned much from the postings. Much of this isn't discussed in text
anywhere else or is difficult and time consuming to lays your hands on.

The SI LIST is working well as it spreads common design principles from
experienced engineers to others.

Thanks,

Philip Ross Wellington
Mgr. Signal Integrity & EMI