[SI-LIST] Re: E1/T1/E3/T3 requirements

  • From: David Heald <daveheald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Si-List (E-mail)" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 11:40:58 -0500

Wow, doesn't apply? Let us in on the secret, please....
  I agree with Dave, Doug, Bill, and anyone else who says that you need
to meet FCC/UL/NEBS.  If the cables for your T1/T3 lines exit the
building that they are present in (i.e. connect to the
"Telecommunications Network"), you will need to do significant lightning
and fault current testing.  These tests are NOT FUN and can lead to
FIRES - I know, I used to work for a lab that did these tests (1089 &
UL) and I caught several products on fire (quite a exciting and dramatic
test - and smelly :o)).  Hence, the need to do the tests before a LEC or
CLEC will purchase the product.  Worst case surges: see GR-1089  4.5.6
through 4.5.8 and 4.5.11 through 4.5.15 (4 wire interfaces).  Notice
also the NRTL Listing requirement in 4.5.3 (and Section 7).
  If, however, your product is only for intrabuilding use, you will
still need to do the intrabuilding lightning surges in 1089 section
4.5.9.
  Many other sections of GR1089 may apply to 4 wire interfaces that exit
the building (sections 5,6,and 8 among others) as well as other the
general requirements to your product in general.
  The NRTL will have slightly less stringent tests (I believe - this is
my memory I'm referencing!).
  As far as the FCC is concerned, if your product uses frequencies
greater than 9kHz, you have to comply with Part 15, and I strongly
believe (but with no personal experience) that Part 68 will apply
regardless.  If your product is SOLELY for installation in a CO (no
other marketing at all - no office buildings, nothing), there are
technical exemptions from Part 15 (don't ask me where, but I proved it
at some point in my career I think), but GR-1089 parallels Part 15 up to
10GHz and goes lower (as low as 60Hz/10kHz depending).  Part 68 should
still be required, though, as you are part of the telecommunications
network.
  Back to your original question.  I am unsure now of your actual trace
sizes or if this is related to the ground plane void question that was
raised recently, but the external connection OV&Surge requirements
require some significant isolation and current carrying capability.
Survivability tests ("The EUT must not be damaged and shall continue to
operate properly...") include 2500V, 500A, 2x10us(1.2x50 alt)
longitudinal surges, 1000V, 100A 10x1000us metallic surges, and 600V,
2.2A, 2 second power fault tests across tip and ring.  So, if your
product does connect to external lines, you really need to pay attention
to your design.  If it is purely intrabuilding, the requirements are
much simpler but FCC, NRTL, and
  Seems like I forgot something, but it's almost lunch time and I've
spent far too much time on this already.
Call a good local test lab (& maybe even some not so local) that
specializes in NEBS and ask them - they should be able to give you a
quote of the necessary requirements (in the form of a quote) based on
your product specifications.

Good luck,
Dave Heald

"Milley, David" wrote:

> I have worked on various T1/E1 equipment for the past 5 years.
>
> If this is Central Office 'interoffice' equipment then it will have to meet
> Part 68 and UL 1950 and NEBS.  If it's designated as 'intraoffice'
> equipment, then it will have to meet UL and NEBS in order to exist in a CO.
> The fact that it's a digital product makes no difference.
>
> Dave Milley
> Cetacean Networks
> Portsmouth, NH

List archives are viewable at: