[SI-LIST] Re: Drivers on a 50Ohm line

  • From: "Bhagwath, Nitin" <nitin.bhagwath@xxxxxx>
  • To: <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 20:32:51 -0700

Hi All,

So the three significant point-to-point termination cases are Receiver
termination to ground, Receiver termination to a non-Vcc source (usually
Vcc/2) and finally Source Series termination.  I'm again assuming
Vcc=3D2.5 and Zo=3D50Ohms.

End termination to ground
------------------------------
Here, the driver will see the load more or less as a characteristic
impedance from DC to somewhere where skin effect kicks in (I'd rather
not go there for this discussion).  To drive 2.5V into a 50Ohm line
would require 50mA of driver strength.

Thevenin end termination (say to Vcc/2)
---------------------------------------
Whether implemented by placing directly to a second Vcc/2 source, or by
placing a voltage divider from Vcc to ground, this setup still shows a
characteristic impedance of 50Ohms to the driver.  But since the driver
only needs to drive to half the voltage, it now needs to be able to
drive 2.5/(2*50) =3D 25mA

Source Series termination
-------------------------
Assuming a series termination, which when added to the internal output
impedance of the driver equals the characteristic impedance of the line,
the driver will need to drive an effective load of 2*Char Impedance =3D
100Ohms.  Now, I agree that "over time"/at DC, the effective impedance
of the transmission line changes, but I'm mainly concerned about the
situation over a frequency range where the transmission line behaves as
a resistive impedance (where Zo =3D (L/C)^(1/2)).

Here, if the combined output impedance =3D characteristic impedance of =
the
line, then the input to the line =3D 1/2Vcc, which reflects at the
unterminated end of the line to yield a full Vcc swing.

This situation requires the driver to be able to drive 2.5/100 =3D 25mA,
similar to the end termination to Vcc/2.

Where my confusion comes in is that this is that 25mA is a rather large
requirement for a driver.  I know there are drivers which can drive more
than this, but there are devices which find this requirement to be at or
above their drive limits.  An example is a KSS oscillator
(http://202.226.94.5/pdf/e/fxo31fe.pdf) which has 24mA as its drive
capability (it's shown for a 5V CMOS type part, with the 5V just making
the current requirement more accute!).  I would assume that these
devices are not driven to/past their limits under normal situations (or
are they?).  If we take a series terminated 5V driver oscillator (I'm
assuming say a 50MHz KSS part from the above datasheet) which can drive
24mA, then how can it drive a normal 50Ohm transmission line, if the
required current is itself 5/100 =3D 50mA?  Wouldn't this seriously =
affect
the voltages at the load?

Thanks
-Nitin